How you can help?
GEMS Parent Engagement
GEMS Parent Engagement and Partnership Programme (PEPP) is a tailored framework which supports schools to raise the ambition, access and achievement of students through parent engagement and home – school partnerships. At GEMS, parent engagement is an ongoing process that increases active participation, communication, and collaboration between parents, schools and communities with the goal of educating the whole child. GEMS parent engagement helps to ensure student achievement and success. Parents are the first educators for their child. At GEMS, parents matter as vital partners who contribute meaningfully to the work of our educators, schools, and communities.
At GEMS Parent Engagement is about:
- Leading Parent Engagement for Ambition – aiming high
- Leading Parent Engagement for Access– removing the barriers
- Leading Parent Engagement for Achievement – yes, we can
GEMS Education family learning strategy is called ‘3-a-day’. It is an accelerated learning strategy based on extensive research and it reinforces good learning habits at home. Parents are encouraged to:
1) Talk about learning
2) Share learning and
3) Encourage learning every day
This can also be supported through the use of a 3-a-day smartphone application.
Research over the last forty years provides educators and parents with a substantial body of evidence that parent involvement and engagement is associated with children’s academic performance and social competence.
According to research, the most accurate predictor of a student’s achievement in school is not income or social status, but the extent to which that student’s family is able to create a home environment that encourages learning.
GEMS PEPP distinguishes between the terms ‘engagement’ and ‘involvement.’ The term parent engagement indicates a shared and continuous responsibility for student achievement and learning that occurs across multiple settings.
At the center of the framework are three modules focused on accelerating student progress delivered in partnership with school leaders, teachers, parents and students:
- The Welcoming Families module supports schools in creating an environment that is welcoming to families and conducive to learning.
- The Collaborative Conversations module provides professional development for teachers that encourages parents, students and teachers to learn from each other while focusing on raising student achievement. This module is a proven approach to enhance the quality of parent-teacher conversations.
Parental sessions module provides parents ways to be involved with their child.